- SwitchBot Curtain is easy to install and integrate with your existing rail and rod system.
- SwitchBot Curtain places the power to move curtains in your own palms.
- SwitchBot Curtain can controlled through the mobile app, through voice using the smart assistants like Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant
What if you can simply feed commands in a bot to move your curtains for you? No, this is not a sci-fi tv show but this is what SwitchBot enables and empowers you to do. The bot (machine + app) is capable of handling all types of rail and rod type curtains and can also assist you in getting a sunlit morning in your bedroom with no extra effort required from your side. The product not only can aid in smart, automated and healthy lifestyle but is surely empowering for elderly and disabled people. A simple and affordable alternative to the heavy motorized curtains, SwitchBot can prove to be a real game changer in the market.
Problem Solved by this Product
The SwitchBot while being an affordable alternative to the expensive motorized counterparts, is a retrofit that an easy install which helps to move your curtains without your effort. This bot will prove to be boon for the high ceiling curtains and also, for the elderly and disabled people by empowering them to move their curtains just by using a mobile application.
Enabled to work in sync with all the smart assistants available in the market, the SwitchBot places the power to move curtains in your own palms.
The SwitchBot comes with various smart and nuanced features which make it the perfect but for your home.
1. Loaded with smartness: The SwitchBot is easy to install and integrate with your existing rail and rod system. The bot can be easily be controlled through a mobile application available across all app stores and can also help navigate your requirements automatically based on a timer. Moreover, it also syncs with your sleep cycle making up for morning full of sunshine as you like it.
2. Promotes healthy lifestyle: According to research conducted by many sleep researchers across the globe, maintaining a regular light-dark cycle in your bedroom keeps your biological clock in sync with circadian rhythm. The bot is enabled to automatically open up on sensing daylight. Hence, improving the quality of sleep and therefore, your mental and physical health.
3. Keep thefts at bay: The SwitchBot comes with all the necessary safety features wherein you can go for the in-home simulation and also, can help in remote status check for the time you are not in the house. You can even set them to open at regular intervals to give the impression that someone is at home.
4. Conserve Energy: The device can also aid in improving your daily practices at energy conservation like by closing the curtains to block the sunrays and hence, reducing the temperature of the room. The bot comes packed with a solar panel to detect the sunlight and hence, can be programmed for keeping the sun at bay during summer days while opening up for the warmth in winters. The panel/ strip-on can also be used to recharge the battery of the SwitchBot hence, removing the need to charge it using conventional electricity. Hence, install and forget!
5. Retrofit: The term here refers to the fact that the SwitchBot can be easily installed on your existing curtain rod hence, working on the “retro” curtain holders. This refit not only save a ton of hassle but also is pocket friendly. The SwitchBot has been found to support majority of curtain solutions as it is a wireless, hang-on device. It clips on to the Round rail while for the U-rails and the I-rails, it attaches as a hook.
6. APP and Alexa Controlled : The SwitchBot can controlled through the mobile app, through voice using the smart assistants like Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant, and using the “touch and go” feature wherein the bot sense that you are physically moving the curtain (mostly, due to habit because once you have this device, why bother), it takes up the task and does it for you. It also comes packed with a wireless remote button add-on for control.
The following are some of the technical specifications of the bot:
- Connection: BLE 5.0 with mesh network
- Power: 3400mAh lithium-ion battery with optional solar panel as an add on.
- Sensor: Accelerometer and light sensor
- Curtain Weight: up to 17 pounds or 8 Kg
- Weight: 201g
- Size: 65 x 51 x 113 mm
The SwitchBot also come with a mini hub which acts as the physical control centre of the bot. It is basically a universal infrared remote control which can be tuned to work with ACs, TVs etc of 4000+ brands.
Plan for Launch
The idea was hatched in June 2017 and the product was first introduced to world at CES 2018. Then working through about 5 different iterations and improvements, the Final upgraded industrial design was launched in July 2019 with large improvements in software capabilities.
The product is priced at $69 as early bird discount while the smart pack which includes the remote is priced at $99.
It comes with three add-ons: the remote button, the solar panel and the thermometer and hygrometer unit.
The company Wonder Tech Lab was founded and is currently headed by Connery Lee, an industry specialist in IoT devices. Their driving force is “create more products that will help our users save time, effort and money spent on hiring professionals for installation.” The company is invested and mentored by Prof. Li Zexiang (UC Berkley), Prof Gan Jie (MIT) and prof Ko Keung (UC Berkley).
The components are manufactured in Shenzhen, China while the development and testing takes place in the USA.
The SwitchBot is a modern and compact curtain mover retrofit which helps customers realize the ease of opening and closing curtains according to their own customization. The product is really affordable and is power packed with some impactful features which sure will target the customers seeking the motorized curtains in the market. All in all, the product promises to deliver more while being light on the wallet and is coming of age device powered by various smart features.